News & Events
Please note that, until further notice, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, in-person worship services at Parkdale United Church are suspended, as are all in-person meetings and activities that take place at the church. We will advise as soon as there is a change. Note that there are several on-line and conference call activities shown in the paragraphs below.
Gowns4Homeless is an initiative of Ottawa Inner City Health (OICH) that Parkdale United is supporting. If you would like to help sew gowns please contact Parkdale’s point person Val Hum at firstname.lastname@example.org. OICH is also in desperate need of funds to support the homeless population in this Pandemic crisis. Cheques can be made out to Ottawa Inner City Health Inc.
Donations can mailed to 5 Myrand Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 5N7. Please phone 613-562-4500 to arrange a drop-off.
To learn more about this, read this article entitled “Heroes of the Stitch” which includes a note on Parkdale’s role. Please Click Here.
Continuing in Prayer and Support:
In these times, as in all times, we are trusting God to grant us wisdom, mercy and faith. As a community of faith and followers of Jesus we are reminded of the numerous times the Bible counsels us not to ‘be afraid’. Normally, this exhortation is accompanied by God’s promise to be with us. God being with us inspires and empowers us to be ‘with’ each other. We do this by praying for one another and reaching out by phone, facetime, Facebook, email, WhatsApp…you name it. Let’s just stay connected. We send love and wish everyone comfort and good health, and look forward to hearing from you. May God bless us all.
Children, youth, young adults and IGNITE
Contact: Camille at email@example.com
Youth Scavenger Hunt (photo edition): please check your emails and ask your youth to send their suggestions to Camille. Deadline: Wednesday, June 3.
Please spread the word! Scavenger Hunt (Young adult edition): Just for our young adults, ages 18-25yrs. You’re invited to participate in a scavenger hunt, designed just for you. Please contact Camille if you’re interested in participating.
If you would like to join us for weekly children’s services, youth groups, and resources, please provide us with the best email address to send our invitations. The following groups are meeting online:
– Sunday school (Sundays @ 10am)
– Junior Youth (Wednesdays @ 8pm)
– Senior Youth Group (Sundays @ 9pm)
– IGNITE – Next gathering is June 1 @ 7pm
Changes to our schedule
There will be no services at the church until we hear that large gatherings are again allowed. We are streaming the Sunday morning services over the internet. These can be accessed on the church web site www.parkdaleunitedchurch.ca.
We are sending out a worship bulletin by email that you may use at home on Sunday mornings.
As we continue with our ministries, and indeed as requests for help are increasing, we depend on donations from our congregation. We hope that you will continue to provide your offerings, even though we are not in church. We can suggest three ways of doing that:
- A donation through Canada Helps, indicating that the donation is to go to Parkdale United Church – Ottawa
-Go to our website: Parkdaleunitedchurch.ca.
-on the home page is a button/link that says “Donate Now through CanadaHelps.org”
-click on this button and it will take you directly to the form to donate to our church
- Sending a cheque in the mail (429 Parkdale Ave., Ottawa, K1Y 1H3)
- Pre-Authorized Remittance (PAR)Givings can also be made directly through your bank account or credit card using Pre-Authorized Remittance (PAR). Givings are deducted automatically from your bank account or charged to your credit card once a month. Using PAR ensures steady, predictable revenue to support the church ministries. PAR forms and information can be printed from the church website (parkdaleunitedchurch.ca)
We thank all of you who have donated already via any of these methods and welcome your continuing support. Your numerous responses via CanadaHelps and PAR, and mailed in envelopes in the past week have been very encouraging.
PRAYER REQUESTS INBOX Please feel free to send your prayer requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LET US BE JOYFUL IN HOPE, PATIENT IN AFFLICTION, FAITHFUL IN PRAYER Here are some prayer suggestions for this Week:
“… the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.” (Romans 8: 6)
- For all infected with COVID19, for their families and for those most vulnerable and exposed to the virus.
- Let our prayers be with and for those who are grieving their loved ones within the limitations of the lockdown. We join in prayer with the residents of Minneapolis and all parts of the world raising their voices for racial killing to stop. We pray for those who mourn George Floyd.
- For those in long-term care homes (residents and their families, staff).
- For our congregation, and specially for our elder saints; and for those who have parents, grandparents, friends or relatives in senior residences and nursing homes.
- For frontline workers and volunteers in the medical field and their families: for the daily emotional and physical strain on them, for health and safety; for faith and strength. Let us keep in our hearts and prayers those from our congregation who are serving in this area (Allison and her children, Carolyn, Paul, Christine, Ellen, Bill and Kathleen). We thank you!!!
- For frontline workers doing essential work in service areas and volunteers helping others to go through this difficult time. We also pray for their families. We thank you!!!
- For suffering from other conditions and illnesses; for those suffering from with cancer and other autoimmune diseases.
- Times of fear, anxiety, depression, and uncertainty for many, let us pray for all who are experiencing those.
- For all those in the most vulnerable situation in societies: no housing, even more limited resources, no access to services, no spaces for community, mental conditions. For those, children and adults, living under conditions of domestic abuse. Let us continue to remember our IFTC community at this time.
- We pray for wisdom to governments of the world to make wise decisions on behalf of their people and the global community.
- For small business owners also facing drastic decisions; for the unemployed and the big economic uncertainties lying ahead.
- We give thanks for Parkdale United children and youth, for all those involved in this ministry with them. We pray for them and their families, for their teachers and friends.
Lord hear our prayer, and in your love answer us.
SUNDAY WORSHIP SERVICES AVAILABLE ON THE PHONE
FOR THOSE WITH NO INTERNET – SPREAD THE WORD PLEASE
If you know of people who cannot watch the services online, please let them know that they can call 343 882 1920 and enter 343 882 4663# on Sundays at 10:30 am to listen to the service. They don’t need to speak, just to connect at 10:30 am If you need more info, ask Alcris
Prayer Groups. Our regular praying groups continue (Prayer Group and Cancer Focus Prayer Group).
PRAYER TIME. Thursdays at 11:00 am. Dial 343 882 1920 and then enter 343 882 6443# . This is an open time for prayer, you are invited to call in and join Alcris.
Prayer Buddy. If you would like to join someone to pray with on a regular basis, we would be delighted to find a prayer buddy for you. You two will decide how and when to pray.
Parkdale Buddy. In this time of social isolation it is so important to have someone to check with on a regular basis. If you would like to have a buddy, let us know.
Ears Are Open. We are more than two months in already. For many this is starting to impact their mental/emotional health; it is normal and ok. If you are feeling troubled, need to talk with someone, or in need of prayers, we are here for you. Please send Anthony or Alcris an email or call the office for us to call you right back. We can meet on Skype, Zoom, phone or have an email chat. You are not alone, we all together in this!
PARKDALE’S COFFEE KLATCH Tuesdays at 3:00 pm. This is the closest to our coffee hour after Sunday services. An informal time “to see and have a chat with other Parkdalers over coffee/tea. Check it out this week.
This is the link: https://zoom.us/j/5637388533 .
If you want to join us but don’t know how to use Zoom, let me know in advance and we will practice before. Or if you are having problems connecting please contact Alcris
For questions email@example.com
Instructions about using Zoom for our groups:
1.Go to the link https://zoom.us/j/5637388533
- If you follow the link you may get a question: Do you want to allow this page to open “zoom.us”? say ALLOW
3. Then you may get another question: Join with video? press JOIN WITH VIDEO
4. And then another box titled: Choose one of the following options. press Join with Computer Audio
5. To check audio and sound go to the bottom left corner of your screen click on the microphone icon and the audio to check your selections.
WEDNESDAY EVENINGS Zoom SMALL GROUP.
The group will continue to meet on Wednesdays at 7 pm on Zoom. Go to the link https://zoom.us/j/5637388533
We are using the book Sabbath Pause: Seven Weeks of Daily Practices written by Terry Chapman, a renowned scholar and spiritual director. The book is available for $9.99 on Kindle. https://www.amazon.ca/SabbathPause–Terry–Chapmanebook/dp/B009X0ZAVC. If you are interested contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org also if you have questions about Zoom or how to get the book.
There is still time to join the FRIDAY MORNING Zoom SMALL GROUP
We are using the book: Liturgy of the Ordinary, Sacred Practices in Everyday Life by Tish Harrison Warren.
It is a light and yet meaningful read, on each chapter this book looks at something that the author does during the day -making the bed, brushing her teeth, losing her keys… from a spiritual perspective. The book is available on Audible and Kindle (Amazon books) (under $10) . If you are interested in joining us please contact email@example.com. Here is the link to join the Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5637388533
Confidential Phone Counselling – by Dr. Bailey. Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org; 613 728-8656 x 222