Stewardship Recommended Reading List
The Stewardship Committee provides the following listing of books around the theme of “Stewardship”. Stewardship comes in many forms (e.g., stewards of money, time, talents, evangelism) therefore the listing of books provided reflects broad and varied areas.
NB: The links to the Amazon website are provided so that readers can quickly get more detail on the book and are not an endorsement of the Amazon website. Some of these books might also be available at the Ottawa Library.
STEWARDING OUR FAITH
- God Is in the Hard Stuff by Bruce Bickel and Jantz Stan Jantz – Bruce and Stan show readers where to turn when the going gets rough-to the God who cares about every difficulty they face. Based in the timeless truths of scripture, drawing upon life experiences of people who have navigated the dark valleys, God Is in the Hard Stuff offers inspiration and hope. God Is in the Hard Stuff women’s gift book
- Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren – The book argues that discerning and living five God-ordained purposes (worship, community, discipleship, ministry and evangelism) are key to effective living. Forty short chapters are intended to be read over 40 days’ time, giving readers small pieces of his purpose-discovering program to chew on. Purpose Driven Life Lrg Print
- God’s Word for Simple Abundance: Devotions for Everyday Inspiration by Dan and Nancy Dick – This Devotional book, based on the ancient but profoundly relevant wisdom of the Proverbs, will guide you toward the quiet satisfaction that comes from a life of wisdom…a life lived for God. God’s Word for Simple Abundance
- The Unshakable Truth: How You Can Experience the 12 Essentials of a Relevant Faith by Josh and Sean Mcdowell. Josh McDowell, along with his son, Sean, draws on a lifetime of work to create this comprehensive handbook on what Christians believe, why they believe it, how it is relevant to life, and how they can pass it on to the next generation. A spiritual gold mine for pastors, leaders, parents, and youth workers—anyone wanting to reveal Christianity’s power in today’s life and culture. The Unshakable Truth
STEWARDING CHRISTIAN IDEAS
- Dangerous Surrender: What Happens When You Say Yes to God by Kay Warren – In this book, Warren tells stories of the world’s great tragedies (HIV/AIDS, the genocides in Rwanda and Cambodia, sex slavery, orphaned children and deep poverty) through the lens of her travels. Warren challenges readers to engage with devastating situations and surrender themselves to loving others—particularly those who may be considered outcasts—in the name of Christ. Dangerous Surrender
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis – Lewis presents the reader with a case for orthodox Christianity through logical arguments that are eloquently expressed. He describes those doctrines that the four major denominations in Britain (Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic) would have in common, e.g., original sin, the transcendent Creator God and the divinity of Jesus, as well as his atonement and bodily resurrection. Mere Christianity
- Discerning God’s Will Together: A Spiritual Practice for the Church by Danny E. Morris and Chuck Olsen (study guide for Parkdale’s Council) Discerning Gods Will Together Spirit
- The Green Bible by Harper Bibles (recommended by the Stewardship Committee) – The Green Bible will equip and encourage you to see God’s vision for creation and help you engage in the work of healing and sustaining it. This first Bible of its kind includes inspirational essays from key leaders such as N.T. Wright, Barbara Brown Taylor, Brian McLaren, Matthew Sleeth, Pope John Paul II, and Wendell Berry, introduction by Desmond Tutu and others. As you read the scriptures anew, The Green Bible will help you see that caring for the earth is not only a calling, but a lifestyle. The Green Bible
- Ministry by Teenagers: Developing Leaders from Within by Jonathan McKee and David R. Smith – ‘What would happen if we gave teenagers opportunities to serve and use their gifts in ministry prior to high school graduation? What if we poured into these young leaders, discipling them and doing ministry alongside of them, helping them grow spiritually, seeing and experiencing God working through them? What if we eased back on our ministry to students, supplementing it with ministry by students?’ The book is jam-packed with ideas, advice, and resources for: fostering discipleship; building student leadership teams; identifying student talent; helping students discover and use their spiritual gifts; creating service teams; equipping students to reach their friends. It’s a must-have tool for youth workers who want to tap the gold mine of talent, passion, and leadership potential they see every day in young Christians.
- Time-Out for the Spirit: Two-Minute Quiet Times for Times That Aren’t Quiet – A spiritual first-aid kit for those moments when life challenges our patience, courage, resolve and faith. Time-Out for the Spirit
STEWARDING OUR TREASURES
- Creating A World Without Poverty by Muhammad Yunus – What if you could harness the power of the free market to solve the problems of poverty, hunger, and inequality? To some, it sounds impossible. But Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus is doing exactly that. As founder of Grameen Bank, Yunus pioneered microcredit, the innovative banking program that provides poor people––mainly women––with small loans they use to launch businesses and lift their families out of poverty. In the past thirty years, microcredit has spread to every continent and benefited over 100 million families. Creating a World Without Poverty
STEWARDING OUR RELATIONSHIPS
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman – Unhappiness in marriage often has a simple root cause: we speak different love languages, believes Dr. Gary Chapman. Dr. Chapman has identified five love languages: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. The 5 Love Languages
- The 5 Love Languages Men’s Edition: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman – Husbands are commanded to love their wives. But do you know what really makes your wife feel loved? Are you tired of missed cues and confusing signals? The 5 Love Languages Men’s Edition
STEWARDING INVENTED STORIES
- God Is in the Small Stuff: and it all matters by Bruce Bikel and Jantz Stan Jantz – Does God care about the details of your life; your flat tire, that argument with your spouse, your finances? Absolutely! In their lighthearted yet thought-provoking style, Bruce and Stan encourage readers never to disregard the minor, seemingly insignificant things of life; because their infinite God is also intimate. God Is in the Small Stuff women’s gift book
- The Shack by William P. Young – Mackenzie Allen Phillips’ youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in this midst of his great sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment, he arrives at the shack on wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change his life forever. The Shack